Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Garden.. Day 1.

The stars aligned and I finally planted some seeds! I am direct sowing everything except for the Celery. I just read the package and direct sowing the celery is not recommend.. so i guess I will try some small pots on a windowsill to start them. I suppose I am also not starting the tomatoes from seed either. I am going to wait until the mothers day plant date to get them in the ground. I picked up could cheapo plants at the grocery store and we plan on getting some heirloom varieties at the farmers market. I am going to have 11 plants. I thought this sounded like a lot until the neighbor came over and said he plants 26.. so now I am hoping it will be enough!

Anyway about the garden. I put in two types of carrots (purple and white). Radishes- a variety pack and some red meat. 4 types of onions.. Storage, Candy, Bunching and Scallions. Three types of beets -chioggia beets, Golden, and Early Wonder. Arugula, Romaine, Kale, Chard, Spinach. With the exception on beets these are all my staple foods. We just really like beets.

They next round of planting when the soil gets warmers will include cucumbers and lima beans.

I can't wait for something to germinate. It has only been one night but the suspense is killing me!




4 comments:

  1. I used to buy a lot of my plants, but was having trouble finding the plants that I wanted, and they can be sort of expensive. So this year I am starting my own seeds. The waiting game is so nerve racking! But seeing things sprout from the seeds that you put in the soil is so rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started everything from seed this year. If you're really anxious, plant a bean in a pot...that'll germinate within 48 hours, guaranteed! :P Sounds like you have a wonderful selection of plants. We used to buy transplants for tomatoes, but this year it was fun starting them from seed...but they do take up quite a bit of space while they're waiting to go outside. I wouldn't worry about not having enough tomatoes. It's best not to overcrowd them anyway, and even just a few plants can produce an amazing amount of fruit. Can't wait to see your seedlings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I plant tomatoes from seedlings. Some I have started from seed, others from the farmers market and a local nursery. We have so many nurseries now that carry good stock that it is hard to pass them up. I am looking forward to following your blog and your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is already sounding yummy, congratulations! Good luck with the celery, too. I usually have an easy time with it but I've been slack with my seedling watering this season and had to restart one of my trays. I'm envious of the 'Candy' onions and 'Chioggia' beets. It's a little late where I live to start those now. :)

    ReplyDelete