Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Beginning


This will mark the first summer that my husband Joe and I will spend in our new home on Briggs St. We saved for a couple years to afford this house and are excited to realize our dreams of spending summers sweating in the garden and lounging enjoying the fruits of our labor. Our previous apartments lacked the outdoor experience we had been craving. I want this blog to track progress in our garden, showcase our chickens and talk about each new batch of beer we brew.

I have been looking forward to having a garden for years. We dug a 14 x 18' foot plot for our first year to keep things simple and manageable. We also have a 10 x 3 plot where I plan to start an herb garden and an 22 x 10' ornamental plot that we planted this past fall. There are some berries and herbs in that plot which I hope will add to my garden harvest totals. Besides this we have three huge containers, two big containers and a handful of smaller pots. I am currently awaiting the arrival of this years seed catalog and hope to have everything plotted out within the next couple of weeks.

We plan on getting three chicks this spring. First we have to build a coop and a run and then hopefully take a class of raising chickens. I think they are going to be so much fun to own. We love eggs from the farmers market but have a hard time justifying the 6-7 dollar dozens.. I am hoping that the birds will cut down that cost. They will also be eating our garden scraps and contributing to our compost pile.

Brewing beer is our new hobby. I am hoping the garden can contribute some hops. And if nothing else the grains and hops are already in our compost pile, already contributing to our non existent garden.

I hope to join in a blog community. I have been voyeuristicly reading some garden/ canning blogs and hope to start conversations with these people to A. have friends who won't mind me being excited about harvesting spinach and B) to have have friends with experience whom I can ask questions.

Looking ahead - The first batch of beer and I dream of harvest Monday's.










5 comments:

  1. I moved into my home last July and grew my first fall garden. Like you, I had been dying to put down some roots, literally. I am so excited for this spring!

    Good luck with your gardening adventures and chicks! Daphne' blog is a great resource to have.

    Take care,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how excited I was to have my first garden (don't even ask how long ago). It was just so much fun to play in the dirt after living in a condo. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog. Just gone through your blog and found it to be wonderful. It was nice going through your blog. Keep it up the good work. Cheers :) Iflorist.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look forward to progress. Pop over the garden fence and visit my blog www.alanjolliffe.blogspot.com

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful blog! I'm looking forward to following you progress, and your beer brewing experiences! I hope you'll visit me too at Garden in Paradise. http://gardeninparadise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete