Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Year New Garden

Basil
Onions

Ok. So I haven't blogged since September but looking back on stuff from last year I thought about how nice it was to have a record of the garden and when I was doing things to it. So last year at this time it was so much warmer and so much spring-ier. This will be the longest Portland has gone into the year without a 60 degree day. Plus it has been raining, and raining, and raining. We have to paint some siding and it needs 24 hours to dry and since we got it a month ago there has not been one period of 24 hour dryness.

Last year I direct seeded everything and I felt like some stuff took either forever to come up or I put it in the ground way to late. So this year I am starting some seeds inside. So far I have some onions, basil, celery, and lettuce. I planted them around March 11th. They are all germinated and becoming great little plants. I hope to have them in the garden one month from when they were planted. I hope our nice neighbors are going to let us borrow their rototiller again this year.

I am going to start some more seeds inside next month.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I agree, last spring was much more spring-like. We're soaked here at the moment, and the only gardening we're getting done is indoor seed starting. Looks like your onions and basil are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have still been following your blog and I am super jealous of your bees keeping! Brew a mead for me!

    ReplyDelete