Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chickens! 20 Days!

This lady is a Black Australorp. She is 'very good' and producing brown eggs.
Should have a sweet temperament.
This Lady is a Buff Orpington. Joe and I already call her Fat Chicken. (affectionately of course.) She is 'good' at laying brown eggs.
And last but not least is this lady a Rhode Island Red. She, I imagine, will be the ring leader as she is the most aggressive breed in the brood. They are described as prolific layers of brown eggs!


Ok. These are not mine. I ordered these three breeds on the phone today! Woo! It feels a little funny to buy animals on the phone but it saved me some gas by not driving to the store just to have them run my credit card. Soooo the chicken count down begins! 20 Days til the chickens come home to roost! (or you know.. be cute chicks in a box)

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, how fun! I'm a little biased, but I know you'll love the Buff Orpington! I do think handling the chicks a lot in the beginning helps to sweeten their dispositions, and make them just that much more friendly. My first chicks I handled a lot, the second group not quite as much (all the same breed), and there is a little difference in their personalities. I can't wait to see your new chicks! Hope to add to my own flock in spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so envious! My husband says I have chicken lust. ;) I'll be following along on your journey as you discover the world of backyard chickens. A vicarious thrill for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! We currently have a couple of ducks, but I would like to keep chickens one day. I'll be looking forward to the stories of how yours go settling in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your chix! I am just starting to raise some myself, already had several mishaps, but learning a lot! I am so impressed with your beer making--it is fun to share your adventure, kudos!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friend has chickens - only I can't remember what breed they are - I've promised her I'll do an article on them one day on my blog - but she says she can tell what time it is in the garden from where they are situated in the garden - they sure are creatures of habit........ in her case anyway. When she comes home from work each day they run to meet her. Happy eggs from happy chickens are so much better than shop bought.

    ReplyDelete