Sunday, April 25, 2010

Spinach Experiment.


Our garden patch needs to be rototilled before I use it. Our neighbors is in the shop so instead of spending money to rent one we will just wait and start the garden a few weeks late. I hope to have it in right after we get our last frost or around there. I was a bit to excited though so I tore some dead plants from planters I found last year and stuck 3 spinach seeds in one and 2 kale (or chard- I can'r remember at this moment). It is serving as a reminder that seeds will sprout if planted. I still can't get over that with so little work one can get yummy food. I planted the seeds a while back and it took them an agonizing 10 days to germinate. I figured they were dead the whole time and the whole garden thing would be a bust.. then they came..first two little leaves forming a V and now the first set of true leaves are there. (Did I make that term up? Well the first set of leaves that actually look like spinach are there). It is a small start but at least we are that much closer to a garden fresh salad , or sauteed greens or whatever our menu fancies.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it great? Soil + water + sun + seed = spinach! No, you didn't make it up, they are considered the first 'true leaves'. We've been a bit disorganized getting our veggies going this year, as we're still installing the vegetable gardens, but it's great to get them started in pots. Then when you transplant everything out, the garden instantly looks great!

    ReplyDelete