Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The garden continues to grow.

I have been lazy about lots of things that have to do with the garden. Along with the veggies weeds have found a welcome well watered home. The veggies don't mind so neither do I! I had big plans to weigh out everything and keep track but that has fallen by the wayside and I am just enjoying the garden as things come along.. maybe next year I will be more organized. We have had great beet, carrot and cucumber harvests. We have picked more cucumbers than I care to admit. It has been fun though and we will never have to buy grocery store pickles again! We have picked some beets but mainly eat them as they come along. I thought I didn't grow enough carrots but there are still lots in the garden and I can't remember the last time I bought them. Celery still seems to be plugging along. We have more kale than we know what to do with and the same with lettuce. Tomatos in the garden are HUGE. They are taller than me and have hundreds and hundreds (it feels like) of tomatoes.. they are just all green! We have been having lots of marine clouds every morning leaving little ripening time. I am hoping this week of sunny mild temps will do the trick. We have gotten a few though and they were beautiful and super tasty.
My dill has died and my parsley has gone to seed. A project to be dealt with. I forgot to water some catnip and some chamomile so their corpses are hanging out on my deck making it look oh so pretty.
The chickens are laying some great eggs. We get at least one or two a day. This weekend they were laying 2 each a day!

1 comment:

  1. Summer has been a bit odd here on the left coast, with a marine layer so thick some days we didn't see the sun at all! Have hope though, our tomatoes have gone from mostly green just over a week ago, to actually ripening with the recent wave of warmer weather. I can't believe your girls were laying 2 eggs a day! They clearly didn't read the book...it's supposed to take a day to make an egg. What overachievers you have :P

    ReplyDelete