Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dear Garden Diary

Things are still slow as we wait for the sun to make a more permanent appearance in our sky. I planted some more seeds inside on 4/12/11. I started some kale, pumpkins, butternut squash, melons and cucumbers. So far only one kale came up... hello seeds, germinate! I also planted some parsley and Lemon balm into the herb garden on the same day (bought from 7 Dees and FM respectively.) The basil, onions and celery are doing well. I think the lettuce will just have to be direct planted outside.
Joe turned over some grass in the Chicken Garden where I plan on planting all my bush beans this year. I cleaned out some pots that were grass filled and planted some beets and spinach. Hopefully they didn't get rained out. But whatever! I was just jumping the gun cause I am so excited for fresh garden veggies that I can't wait!
In sad news our fig tree didn't make it through the winter. It was dead at the top from frost bite maybe (although it was supposed to be cold hardy to 0 degrees and I think 11 was our lowest this year.) We are thinking about getting a new one. Our cherry tree made it through which is awesome. I can't wait to start getting harvests from it!
One thing that is really producing are the chickens. We get anywhere from 2-4 eggs daily now. It was over whelming at first but I think we have gotten more accustomed to eating way more eggs. Last night we made a vanilla ice cream using 7 of them. Well 7 yolks anyway. I am freezing the whites and once I add 5 more I will make an angel food cake. I have been trying to bake more bread too which has been helpful. This week I am also making eggs au gratin to serve over a salad dressed with homemade dressing that involves eggs. 8 eggs total will go into that meal!

I can't wait for warm sunny weather and to have that brown plot of land in my front yard be bright green again. I really want to plant before for I am too big to even think about bending over!

1 comment:

  1. Wow it's sounds like you have a LOT going on in your garden! I'm sorry your fig tree didn't make it, they can be rather fussy when they're young. Hopefully the next one will do well for you. Isn't it funny how once you have chickens, you suddenly find yourself making lots of different egg dishes? Frittatas are popular around here, and so is Crème brûlée, although I dare not make that too often! ;)

    ReplyDelete