Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Garden Second Planting.

So. The first planting had mixed results. I don't know exactly what I expected but it was more for some reason. So I have curbed my harvest expectations and since it is only May I am ok with that. The beets germinated for the most part. I would say about 80 % or maybe a bit more. I filled in holes in my rows with extra seeds today. I got 0% germination on carrots and onions. I replanted the rows.. I am hoping I just jumped the gun and it was too cold for them or something. So I waited 3.5 weeks before giving up.. here's to another three more weeks before I scour some garden centers for veggie starts.

The greens are coming up well and the radishes are thriving.

So my new expectations are salads, with beets, and radishes ... oh and tomatoes.

I bought tomato starters from the farmers market. We have a nice mix of canning tomatoes, heirlooms, and cherry. We are doing 11 plants this year and they all seem to be doing fine despite some late frosts and an obscene amount of hail storms. One already has a flower!

On the bright side my expectations for herbs have already been exceeded! They are all growing so well! My dill is already a few feet high. Cilantro is going nuts. My herb planters already look full! Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your onions and carrots materialize this time. Carrots really have to be sown straight in garden soil, but next year, to get a jump on the onions, you can start those inside. It sounds like you have a great selection of veg and herbs though. You'll be swamped with tomatoes by late summer...I hope you planted a little basil to go with those tasty toms? :P

    ReplyDelete